Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

I've had requests to share this recipe - I hope someone finds it useful. I'll post a recipe for stain-remover spray as well.

HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED:
Small Batch
1/3 bar Fels Naptha (or bar soap of your choice)
1/2 cup washing soda (see note at bottom)
1/2 cup borax powder
Water
(Optional) 2-3 oz essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice
Small bucket, about 2 gallon size

Large Batch
1 bar of Fels Naptha (or bar soap of your choice)
1½ cups washing soda (see note at bottom)
1½ cups borax powder
Water
(optional) 2-3 oz essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice
Bucket, 5-6 gallon size

DIRECTIONS (large batch in parentheses)
* Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan (stock pan for large batch)
* Add 6 cups (18 cups) water and heat it until the soap melts
* Add the washing soda and borax and stir until it is dissolved.
* Remove from heat.
* Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups (4 gallons plus 2 cups) water to your bucket.
* Now add your soap mixture and stir.
* Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will (should) gel.
* Use ½ cup per load.

Note: Plugerville Wal-Mart does not have "washing" soda on the laundry aisle, just regular baking soda. HEB has the washing soda.

I've made the large batch twice now and it's lasting me about 4 months, at an average of 8 loads per week. The cost breakdown is about 2 cents per load. A great savings.

3 comments:

  1. Hey this is awsome! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find the fels naptha?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure where the fels naptha is locally, I found some in California while I was there and brought some back. I could ask my sister to send me some if anyone is interested. I've used ivory bar soap before, as that's pretty neutral, and it works well.

    ReplyDelete